- Silicon Photonics
- Nano photonics,
- Photonic Crystal,
- Optical switching
Current studies involve a planar metamaterial Lüneburg lens enables Fourier optics on-a-chip:
It can be implemented in an SOI slab waveguide structure by patterning the silicon core with variable sized holes which subwavelength patterning of binary nanocomposite material form the metamaterial. This structure offers the advantage of fabrication by a single etch step while demanding feature sizes that can be accessed by deep UV lithography in addition to e-beam lithography. The concept and designs were verified by the 2D FDTD simulation of a two lens telescope system and a 3D FDTD simulation of the same two lens telescope system predicts a low loss of -0.83 dB. This structure can be used in optical transpose interconnection systems in optical switching architectures with the advantage of avoiding large number crossover waveguides in optical communication systems.
- Nikkhah, H., Benhsaien, A., Maldonado-Basilio, R., Abdul-Majid, S., Hall, T. J., “Metamaterial Lüneburg waveguide lenses for switch fabric on-a-chip applications,” Proc. SPIE 8915, 89150O (2013)
- H. Nikkhah, T. J. Hall, ‘A transpose optical interconnect utilising metamaterial Luneburg waveguide lenses for switch fabric on-a-chip applications’, SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco, United States, 2-7 February 2013, Proc. SPIE, 8627, 86270V-1 (9 pages).
- R. Maldonado-Basilio, R. Li, S. Abdul-Majid, H. Nikkhah, K. W. Leong, T. Hall, ‘Effect of the degree of phase-correlation of laser sources on the transmission and optical coherent detection in radio-over-fibre systems’, SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco, United States, 2-7 February 2013, Proc. SPIE 8645, pp. 86450E-1/10.(10 pages)
- H. Nikkhah, K. Van Acoleyen, R. Baets, ‘Beam steering for wireless optical links based on an optical phased array in silicon’, Annals of Telecommunications, Springer, (online since June 2012), 68, (1-2), February 2013, pp 57-62.
- Trevor J. Hall, Ramón Maldonado-Basilio, Sawsan Abdul-Majid, Joe Seregelyi, Ran Li, Irene Antolín-Pérez, Hamdam Nikkhah, Frédéric Lucarz, Jean-Louis de Bougrenet de La Tocnaye, Bruno Fracasso, Patrice Pajusco, Camilla Kärnfelt, Daniel Bourreau, Michel Ney, Rabiaa Guemri, Yves Josse, Hexin Liu, ‘Radio-over-Fibre Access for Sustainable Digital Cities’, Annals of Telecommunications, Springer, 2013, 68(1-2), pp. 3-21.
- H. Nikkhah, Q. Zheng, I. Hassan, S. Abdul-Majid, T. J. Hall, ‘The Free Space and Waveguide Talbot Effect: Phase Relations and Planar Light Circuit Applications’, Photonics North 2012, Montreal, Canada, June 2012, Proc. SPIE 8412, 2012, art. 841217
- H. Nikkhah, R. Baets, K. Van Acoleyen: ‘Optical Phased Arrays in Silicon on Insulator for Optical Wireless Systems’, Green Radio over Fibre and all-optical Wireless Technologies for Wireless Access Networks’, Brest, France, 15-17 June 2011.